Home Energy Assistance Program

HEAP is a federally-funded program designed to assist eligible low-income Ohioans with their winter heating bills. Households may be eligible for assistances from HEAP if the household income is at or below 175% of the federal poverty guidelines (see Federal Poverty Guidelines chart). Households may be eligible for assistance from PIPP if the household income is at or below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines. Once your application has been processed, you will receive a notification letter telling you whether or not you are eligible for bill payment assistance. If you are eligible, the amount of your benefit will depend on federal funding levels, how many people live with you, total household income, and the primary fuel you use to heat your home. In most cases, benefits will be a credit applied to your energy bill by your utility company. This is a one-time per year benefit. If you are eligible for weatherization services, your application will be obtainable by the agency providing services in your area. The types of assistance you receive will be based on your home’s energy efficiency. If you live in federally-subsidized housing and have a utility bill in your name, you may be eligible for assistance.

If you are age 60 or over, you may obtain application assistance for HEAP in your local county through the following AAA7 partners:

Adams County: Adams County Senior Citizens Center 937-544-3956
Brown County: Adams-Brown Economic Opportunities, Inc. 800-553-7393
Gallia County: Gallia-Meigs Communtiy Action 740-367-7341
Highland County: Highland County Community Action 937-393-3458
Jackson County: Jackson-Vinton Community Action 740-384-3722
Lawrence County: Lawrence County Community Action 740-532-3534
Pike County: Pike County Community Action 740-289-2371
Ross County: Ross County Community Action 740-702-7222
Scioto County: Scioto County Community Action 740-354-7541
Vinton County: Jackson-Vinton Community Action 740-384-3722

The Ohio Development Services Agency also offers several programs to help low-income Ohioans pay their utility bills and improve the energy efficiency of their homes. Through the same Energy Assistance Program application mentioned above, you can apply for the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), the Winter Crisis Program (WCP), the Summer Crisis Program (SCP), Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) and the Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP). For the Winter Crisis Program and Summer Crisis Program, you need to make an appointment at the local community action agency, which is the local provider for these programs:

Adams-Brown Counties Community Action 800-553-7393
Gallia/Meigs Counties Community Action 740-367-7341
Highland County Community Action 937-393-3458
Jackson/Vinton Counties Community Action 740-384-3722
Ironton-Lawrence County Community Action 740-532-3534
Community Action of Pike County 740-289-2371
Ross County Community Action 740-702-7222
Scioto County Community Action 740-354-7541

Ohio Development Services Agency